Post #2

Random stream of consciousness:

Thursday.
Thursdays in black.
Thinking of women and children affected by violence.
Just wearing the words makes me feel like I am doing something.  A black tee shirt as a form of protest.  Of action.  Of reaction. 
Across my chest- Yes to healthy relationships.
On my back - No to violence against women.

In my 20s and 30s I was became friends with a man and I learnt later, who had beaten his wife. I was not friends with him when he was beating his wife, but afterwards.  I knew what he had done.  I did not condone it.  I did not condemn him.

I compartmentalised his violent history because it was not directed at me, because it was in the past, I did not have to face it.  He did not beat me. 

If he were alive I would want to ask if he felt regret, guilt, shame, and sorrow. If he were alive I would want him to know that he influenced me, and that the older, wiser me faces his violent past by standing up against domestic violence today and in the future. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #1